Sipanska Luka, church and hotel

The Isle of "Šipan".

part of the "Elafiti islands" near Dubrovnik.

 

The pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

 

The island of Šipan is the largest of the Elafiti islands and has the most inhabitants. The surface area of the island is 16,5 km2 and the highest point is Velji Vrh and goes up to 243 meters. Šipan is a long-stretched island with two villages.  Both are sheltered by the wind by deep-setted bays. The village Suđurađ has about 250 inhabitants, but has a very important harbour, where a car-ferry can board. The other larger village is Šipanska Luka with over 300 inhabitants.

Sudjuradj

Villa Glavic from the 19th century in Sipanslo Polje

de plattegrond van het eiland Sipan

The road through the valley Sipansko Polje

The road through the valley Sipansko Polje

Between these two settlements lies a motor-road of approximately 5 km. in length, which leads to beautiful large fields and planes inland which have a lot of  orchards and vineyards. The name motor-road is only because of its function. This road is made for the bus-connection between the two settlements.  Taking a stroll of at least an hour from one to the other village we met three cars and the bus.

The road through the valley Sipansko Polje

   Sudjuradj

By the Koločep-canal, which is 1500 meters wide, Šipan is divided from the shore and is surrounded by several small islands. Most visitors are attracted  by the various bays of this island. The clear swimming-water and the aboundance of fish in this area attract a lot of tourists, daily-trips, excursions and fish-picnics organised by ship-owners of Dubrovnik.

Sudjuradj

the ferry dubrovnik- kolocep-lopud-sipan and back

Sipanska Luka, view from the hotel terrace

The island consists of a fruitful and fertile valley, Šipansko Polje surrounded by two lime-reefs. Here there are a lot of grapes and olives cultivated, but also St. Johns-bread, figs and almonds are frequent grown. Further there are fir trees, cypresses and palm trees and of course mediterranian plants and bushes.

In the valley

real wine-grapes

Sunflowers

a vine-yard

The castle in Sudjuradj from the  family Stjepovic-Skocibuha

Villa in Sipanska Luka

Šipanis have long inhabited the island.  In old documents of Dubrovnik the next names are used: Jupana, Zupana and Supana. The present name of Šipan was first used in the year 1371. Much is not known about the history of Šipan, but a defence-wall dated from the Illyrian times was found and Romans have been here.  Proof of this is  de villa Rustica in Šipanska Luka  and the preserved stones with inscriptions. The history of Šipan is strongly woven with the history of  nearby city of Dubrovnik.

   Sudjuradj

Spread across the island are about thirty scattered churches, which already had been built in the middle-ages, a lot of them however have collapsed into ruins. In Suđurađ, directly in front of the harbour, lies the renaissance fortress of the family  Stjepović-Skočibuha, of which its building had started in 1529. Other special buildings are the tower of Pakljena from 1563 and in Suđurađ the “Holy Ghost church” with a flat roof, that has the largest cover in this way on the Adriatic coast.

the church outside of Sudjuradj

Sudjuradj monument

Sudjuradj harbour

one of the many swimming creeks

the boulevard in Sipanska Luka

chapel along the road

   

Next to the hotel, in Šipanska Luka, there are also a lot of private pensions with rooms and apartments for rent.  This is a central location for several excursions and tourist activities.

 

 
 

   Sudjuradj

    Sudjuradj

  Palms in Sipanska Luka

To the Links

Pension and small restaurant in Sudjuradj, rooms for hire, Click here

To the island "Lopud"    Sudjuradj
 the castle's tower in Sudjuradj